Rourkela – the largest industrial township in Odisha, is the third largest city after Bhubaneswar and Cuttack. Located in the northwest border of the state, the beautiful city is surrounded by a range of hills; while enriched by rivers. Rourkela is also known as the Steel City because of having one of the largest steel pants of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL). Not forget to mention the name of National Institutes of Technology – commonly known as NIT Rourkela. the steel plant is known as Rourkela Steel Plant or RSP that covers a large area of the city and gives it a new name in industrial map of India. The RSP is known for producing more than 4 million tones of steel.
There are numerous accreditations behind the steel plant as it is the first plant in Asia to adopt the energy efficient LD process centered continuous casting route to process 100% of steel produced. In addition, it has also adopted external desulphurization of hot metals by calcium carbide injection process. In addition to the aforementioned benefits, the largest steel plant in India is one of the unique steel units under the SAIL umbrella with a wide range of special purpose steels.
There are also numerous small industries in Rourkela fulfilling the demand of RSP and businessmen who come to purchase products from the city. During you trip to Rourkela, you will get a chance to explore some of the wonderful destinations.
- Hanuman Vatika is the main attraction in Rourkela to visit. It has a 75.6 feet high idol of Lord Hanumana - the follower of Lord Rama. Hanuman Vatika houses various temples where pilgrims gather all the year round.
- Vedavyas temple is another famous place to explore in Rourkela. It is counted as Tirtha close at the convergence of rivers Koel, Saraswati and Shankha. Vedvyas is also known for its Gurukula and Vedic Ashram system of education. Apart from that Vedavyas, the confluence of two rivers Sankh and Koel, is only few miles from the main city, which is believed to be the abode of Vedavyas, the great poet, who created the grandeur epic Mahabharat.
- Khandhadhar Falls around 90 km From Rourkela is second highest fall of Orissa and 12th in India with plunging height of 801 Feet.
Vaishno Devi Mandir on Hills
- Replica of Vaishno Devi Mandir, it is a must visit pace for leisure is also situated at the nearby hills. This beautiful and holy temple is one more tourist destination of the Steel City attracting a good number of tourists.
Some Other Attractions In & Around Rourkela
- In addition, Hill Top(Sec -20), Koel River, IG Park (Main attraction is musical Fountain), Deer Park, Jubilee Park, Bhalulata (40 Kms), Blue stone (80 kms) and Mandira Dam, The Family Picnic spot are also other attractions to explore. Close to Rourkela, lie many scenic places including Khandadhar waterfall, which boasts to be the highest waterfall of its kind in the whole of eastern India.